Saturday 31 January 2015

Almond Cookies (CNY)

You will find this easy-to-make cookie in every chinese household during the Lunar New Year festivities.  This cookie is a must-bake cookie!  Besides its crunchy texture, they can be very addictive.  You will never stop after eating one piece!  Don't say that I didn't warn you!  Instead of butter, I added corn oil in my recipe.  The dough mixture may seem crumbly in the beginning but don't worry.  Just try to lump a little dough in your hand.  If it is still crumbly, add a little more oil and knead again.


Ingredients (yields about 66 pieces):
160 g ground almonds
130 g fine sugar
200 g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
150 ml oil (sunflower or corn)

2 egg yolks (to be beaten) for glazing

Method:
Sieve flour, bicarbonate of soda, and baking powder into a mixing bowl.  Add ground almonds, salt and fine sugar.  By using the kneading hook, knead mixture while at the same time, add the oil slowly.  Knead to a cohesive dough i.e. the mixture can be lumped together instead of crumbling apart.



Take a portion (about 9 g) of dough and form into a ball.  Arrange on a baking tray which is lined with baking powder.  Repeat until dough is used up.


Glaze the dough balls with beaten egg yolks.


Bake in a preheated fan oven at a temperature of 180° C for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Once done, remove from oven and leave to cool down completely before storing in an airtight container.


Happy Baking!

4 comments:

  1. Hello I'm Francesca and I am Italian. I was looking for recipes from the world and I came across your blog. I like very much, there are many recipes from which I can take inspiration. I joined your supporters, if you want a challenge, too. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know that you like my food blog. Thank you for being one of my followers.

      Delete
  2. Your recipe worked so well! I baked a batch, and the biscuits tasted heavenly. It melted and crumbled so lightly in the mouth. My European classmates love it so much, that I'm sending them your website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that your European classmates love them and thank you for recommending my food blog to them!

      Delete