Sunday 12 July 2015

Salted Eggs

Traditionally, duck eggs are used and soaked in brine for a period of time.  One month ago, my hubby brought home both goose and duck eggs to my pleasant surprise.  I have stopped buying salted eggs in the supermarket long time ago and prefer to make my own. They are easy to prepare and need to be soaked in brine for at least four weeks.  I did not add any spices to the brine at all.



Ingredients:
3 duck eggs & 4 goose eggs (chicken eggs may be used as well)
400 g coarse salt
about 1.5 litres of water, which has been boiled and cooled down to room temperature - it is better to boil more water than needed
a clean glass container (I used my sweets container which I bought from Ikea)

Method:
Carefully wash and clean the egg shells.  Dry them up with kitchen towel and set aside.


Arrange the eggs in a glass container.


In a jug, add water and coarse salt.  Stir until salt is dissolved.


Then, pour the brine over the eggs.  Place a small bowl on top of eggs to act as a weight in keeping the eggs down.  Cover the glass container and leave in a cool and dry place preferably in the cellar. Store for about four weeks.


After about four weeks, I took out one duck egg and one goose egg each which I boiled in water for about 8 to 10 minutes just to check whether the required saltiness is achieved.  If the required saltiness has not been attained, I suggest that you leave them soaked for another week.  As for this batch, I am very happy with the results. To store the rest of the eggs, just take them out of the brine, wipe dry and store in an egg container in the refrigerator until further use.

Happy Trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment