Sunday 1 November 2015

Baked Maronen (Chestnuts)

A healthy snack which contains less fat and calories.  During the week, I saw huge chestnuts on sale in the supermarket near me and I just could not resist myself from buying them.  They are imported directly from France.  I love Maronen and it is cheaper to bake them myself rather than paying 3€ for 10 small pieces in town.


Ingredient (serves 2):
500 g fresh Maronen (chestnut)

Method:
Make a slit by slightly cutting through the shell on the rounded side of the chestnut as shown below. Be careful not to hurt your fingers!  Repeat procedure.  Arrange chestnuts on a baking tray.



Bake in a preheated fan oven at a temperature of 200° C for 10 minutes.  Then, lower heat to a temperature of 150° C and continue baking for another 20 minutes.  Once done, remove baking tray from oven and leave aside to cool down completely.


Peel shells off before serving.  Can be eaten warm or cold!

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Like you, I bought some over weekend but was painfully peeling the fruit from the skin. Do you have a better way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest that you place a small bowl of water on the baking tray and arrange the chestnuts around it while baking. By doing so, it will be easier to remove the skin. I am using an oven with a built-in steam function. Alternatively, soak the chestnuts in water for a few minutes before cutting slits in them. Then, bake them according to the recipe instructions.

      Delete